Friday 9 December 2011

The Green, The Brown And The Ugly

Hey, you remember my last post on Doctor Who minis/ Where I tried to talk about painting Cybermen but could only really come out with " MOAR SILVER HERP DERP!!"

Guess how you paint Ice Warriors?


That's right, it's a lot like painting Cybermen, only you're drybrushing them green this time. First dark green, then light green. With a green ink wash just to be on the safe side. Of course there ARE other colours. The lenses on the helmets of course are orange, although I did add a dash of yellow to try and make them look a little less flat. Then there's the hairy legs. Why do Ice warriors have hairy legs? I dunno, but I figured I'd do the unshaven areas around the leg joints in brown. It does help break them up a little, but I'm not to sure if it came out a little too strong. maybe look better if the arm joints also had a furry trim, but there aren't any on the minis, and that sort of detail is far beyond my ability to sculpt.


The Ice Lord. Or at least AN Ice Lord. Whilst he was done in pretty much the same way as the Ice Warriors, I did a heavyish drybrushing of silver over the helmet and armoured bits before doing the ink wash, to try and get a different texture and help him stand out. Incidentally, have Ice Lords EVER actually had fingers? I mean, this is allegedly Izlyr from the Curse Of Peladon, and I was watching that whilst I painted these boys, so I'm pretty damn sure he had the regular clamps.


Up next we have some Sontarans. Why? Because Sontarans are awesome. You can get away with some pretty simple colour schemes, especially with the helmeted ones. I mean, that's basically just black and silver.


For the unhelmeted ones it's simply a matter of a suitable brown flesh tone. Interestingly on the fully armoured ones it really felt like I should paint the hands like they were bare. I'm not sure why. And I didn't really want to, as I think being encased completely in battle armour except you forgot the gloves would look a bit silly.


King Peladon. First of all yes, I really can't paint eyes. No matter what I can never seem to get them looking in the same direction, no matter how hard I try. Maybe I need some new brushes, but probably I  just suck. Aside from the eyes I'm kinda pleased with how he came out. I was originally just gonna do him in purple, but looking at the DVDs you see that his cloak is actually a sort of shiny bluish purply job. Which I tried to replicate by drybrushing turquoise and silver.


Aggedor, sacred beast of Peladon. I didn't really notice until I looked at the photos, but he actually looks kinda badass doesn't he. Not that I've ever felt otherwise. I love the Peladon stories, and Aggedor is an archtypical not quite as great as maybe it could have been Doctor Who monster. Which is my favourite type. Painting was pretty straightfoward. A few coats of brown for the fur, drybrush in the muzzle black and then it's just a question of touching in the claws and teeth before inking.


Completing out triumvurate of Peladonian characters we find dear old Alpha Centauri. A great character, with a great design. And suprisingly a complete bastard to paint. I had a daft amount of trouble doing the eye. I think I got a reasonable approximation in the end, but it took a few goes and a certain amount of scraping before I was even slightly happy with it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Ice Warriors! The glowing eyes are great, they really give them a bit of life.

    Speaking of eyes, try a brown "eyelid" line painted over King Peladon's eyes here, so he doesn't look like he's staring (unless he's just embarrassed to be seen dressed in that outfit). As for painting them looking the same direction... can't help you there. That takes me about 2-3 tries, every time.

    Black Tree Doctor Who minis are sometiems a little shaky on the details... like Izyler's hands. I just watched that episode, and I'm sure he had clamps too. But I don't know how they could _do_ much with those, so maybe it's good that he has fingers here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go. Eye's have always been a problem for me. Possibly due to my preponderance for painting monsters instead of people.

    Funny thing with the Ice Lord is I'm sure the one in the box set has the proper clamps. I've really no idea where the hands come from. If they wanted a variant that bad couldn't they just have changed the position or something?

    ReplyDelete