Saturday 17 August 2013

Mashed Potatoes

Just a quick minis post as I somehow actually managed to get a couple of bits finished off last week. Honestly, I have no idea how it is I can never find the time to do stuff when you consider the simple fact that I never appear to be actually getting anything DONE.

Ah well, such is "life".




Arc Of Infinity style Omega. It's funny, but Arc Of Infinity is one of those stories that a lot of people seem to rip on, but I actually really like. And a big part of that came from the design of Omega himself. It's a lovely bit of work, strange and alien. There's a certain otherness that befits the lord of antimatter. The mini does a fairly good job of capturing the design, with the obvious problem of lacking the crest on his head. I've no idea why. It looks kinda like it was meant to be a separate part, but then the picture on the Black Tree Design site lacks it as well, so I don't know. Frankly such a delicate and fiddly bit is well beyond my capabilities to sculpt on, but oddly I don't think he really suffers for it's exclusion. It's still a nice piece, and was actually fairly straightforward to paint. Overall I'm fairly pleased. Although not nearly as happy as I'd be if there was an Ergon available to go with him.



Next up we head of to irony corner. See, whilst these incredibly fine alien troopers may LOOK like Sontarans, they are in fact not. These are actually Sharclons from Heresy miniatures.

Now, it's no secret that there is a thriving trade in various companies producing all manner of thinly veiled, "inspired by" type minis in the absence of any official line. But what have here is particularly special. See, not only are these fantastic minis based on a popular monster, that monster is itself a clone race. So to clone them again in miniature form is most pleasing to my own peculiar sensibilities.


I decided to customize the commander slightly by adding a high tech combat knife from Hasslefree. The fact that they do a line of space dwarves does rather open up some interesting possibilities for customizing the stumpy Sontarans Sharclons. In terms of colour scheme I decided to try for a mix of old and new, using black under-suits with blue armour pieces. On the Sontarans I'd done previously I'd lined the folds on the suits in silver, and did the same here. Except then I gave them an all over wash in blue ink. Muted the effect somewhat, but having metallic blue showing through does tie them together a bit stronger.

I'm fairly pleased with these guys overall, but do wish there were a few more variations so I could fill out a full squad. Still, I've got one or two ideas for other conversions to try once I've cleared the decks of other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment