Saturday 16 May 2009

[old blog import] Pit Defence

Girugamesh. Them am an band. I can has seen them now?

The short answer is y. The slightly longer answer is yes. The actual answer is Yeas, and it was awesome.

Not much queue fun for once. I was a little later than I normally aim for, and the doors opened an hour earlier than I thought they did. So I was a lot further back than usual. Still, there was always the crazy tramp to watch for a bit, so thats something I guess.

One thing that is starting to really bug me though is the mess that the queue seems to leave at a J-Rock gigs. Much of the volume I guess is down to the campers, who seem to stake out these events ridiculosly far in advance. It's just that the closer you get to the doors the more there seems to be. I guess this might be a sign of my old age, but then again one of the enduring impressions I have of Japan was incerdibly CLEAN it all was. So seeing a Japanese band and making that much mess just seems wrong somehow.

Yes, I am well aware that I need to get out more. Thanks for asking.

Anyway, the gig itself was really fun. I mean, really. I had a great time, which is kind of wierd when you think about it, as I spent the whole thing trying to stand up to the moshpit that formed right in front of me. But it wasn't a BAD mosh pit. I've been in those before. This was fairly happy and friendly, with no casualties and a good atmosphere. It's just that not everybody appreciates having sweaty half naked young men running into them at speed. So somehow I made it my duty to defend those innocent young girlies behind me from the ravenous onslaught of high velocity testosterone., whilst similtaneously trying to make sure that things went okay in front and keep everyone from falling over.

It seemed to work quite well actually, and individuals in both directions seemed to express some small measure of gratitude at my efforts. Which was nice. It's great to feel INVOLVED. And a good time was had by all.

So, I didn't get to spend much time watching the band, as I was watching the crowd. However the music was rather good, and I'm certainly looking forward to listening to the new album tomorrow.

It's wierd really, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been to a gig with a proper moshpit. Am I getting soft in my old age? There was probably one at Maximum The Hormone, but we were on the sidelines for that. And anyway, that WAS ages ago. So, yeah, whatever.

Scariest part however has to be the timescale. Doors at SIX?!?! Band on at 7ish and then kicking out for half eight? It was still light! It's just weird. Not that I'm complaining really, as it means I get to come home and get a slightly less late night, which considering my ongoing health difficulties and the fact I'm going out again tomorrow night can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment