Saturday 29 October 2011

Minis Catch Up Part 1: Knee Deep In The Lead

Well, plastic actually. But why let that stand in the way of a terrible pun?

It had been a long, long time since I'd done any painting. And I can't say I really had any plans to take up the hobby again. That is until I managed to pick up a copy of DOOM: The Boardgame. I was looking for something with a kind of Space Crusade vibe, and from what I'd read it fit the bill quite nicely. After managing to snap up a copy of the game and expansion on ebay we gave it a whirl and it proved to be an instant hit. Even though my players have yet to beat the first scenario. But there was I, with a big pile of pretty good minis for a game that everyone enjoyed playing. What was I going to do?

Once more unto the breach and all that. or at least once more unto the ebay for some supplies.


Say hello to Mr Imp. This was where I started with the Doom minis. I figured they'd be pretty straightfoward. And they are. Dark brown base coat, light brown highlights, bleached bone on the claws and teeth and then a brown ink wash. And blow me but they didn't come out looking pretty damn good.


It's amazing just how much an ink wash really brought them to life as it were. At least it was to me. Whilst I've always known you're meant to use washes inks were never in my somewhat restricted teenage budgets.


Well, with exception of the rot wash. I started out with undead back in the day you see, and the one thing I'll always remember from the painting guide was the rot wash. Mix yellow and brown inks and slap it on. Makes pretty much anything look moldy, manky, ancient and rotten.


Which is handy when you have a horde of Zombies to deal with. Generally speaking I tried to include the base colour (green, red or blue) of the minis where I could. Here, obviously it's the jackets.


For the Hellknights I didn't go overly fancy. Deep brown base coat, and then built up the flesh tones with a few passes of drybrushing. Once it's highlighted I just went with a black wash. I suppose a flesh wash could have worked better, but I didn't have one at the time. And I think they look pretty good as is.


Although, as with all the big pieces, it a complete bastard trying to get them all in the same shot.


Although that's not a problem you face with the Trites. The real bugger with these guys is the fact that they don't actually have bases, which makes them tricky to grasp. I suppose I could have mounted them on something, but frankly I didn't really want to. Aside from the extra work they just look great in a big horrific pile.


Not ever actually having played Doom 3 I have no idea what sort of colour scheme these boys are supposed to have, but I don't think you can go far wrong. I just did the legs in brown and then covered the sides in blood and gore, trying to go for a The Thing kind of vibe. I mean, everyone loves headspiders, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment