Sunday 19 October 2014

Watching It Dry

It's about time for one of my woefully infrequent updates on mini painting. It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on the subject, but I haven't been entirely neglectful of the hobby. Just somewhat preoccupied with various other things. But I've still been working on the thing on and off, and it turns out I actually have quite a lot of new stuff to put up. So let's get on with it shall we?




After having a clear out of the roof space I'd found some old boxes of scenery and GW shit. Most of it went straight on ebay or in the bin, but there one or two useful things among the tat and old armies. And one of these things was the scenery from the Lord Of The Rings tabletop game.


Whilst somewhat thin for walls, they were still a reasonable bit of scenery, which might come in handy for a game or two. But they did need fixing up a bit. Primarily this consisted of constructing some proper bases for them, which I did with a combination of foam board, glue, sand and something that looks remarkably like cat litter. But it adds nice rocks and rubbly bits to the base texture.



For the large but I added some extra details I'd gotten from Black Cat bases. The carving over the arch, and to add a splash of extra colour I added a bit of fire in the ruins. All in all I think they came out pretty good and should add a bit of variety to the jungle should I ever get around to running something in 28mm.


Naturally I do have plans for such an eventuality, and part of them involves these Goloth troops I got from Hasslefree.


I've only managed to complete 4 out of the squad of 10 so far, but it's a good start. They were a surprising pain to put together owing to the oddly large base tabs, being both very thick and deep. Still, with a bit of work they all came together.


I'd been considering getting these for a while, but didn't actually make my mind up to do it until after I'd completed my Dino-Might Carcharadontosaurus. Having been quite pleased with the skin tones I'd achieved on that I thought these would look good done in a similar style. Of course it also helped that there was a sale on at the time.


I still have the masked versions to finish, but at least now I can have a go at stating these guys up. And of course if I've got some outer space saurian types I'll need some allies for them...


I honestly have no idea who made these small raptor style dinosaurs. I've had them for years. They originally came as part of some sort of Lizardman line, possibly by Harlequin. These guys came with a beastmaster type.


The larger one I think was for a cavalry piece. But even then I'd gotten them basically to have a mama dinosaur and some babies. I decided to go for a blue / green colour scheme primarily because when I originally got them I'd done them in red. A fun bit of extra variety for a squad, or possibly a bit of native wildlife to make the battlefield more interesting.


Another set of minis that may yet come in handy for some sort of game or other are these droids made by reaper. Firstly there's this robot assistant. I got him mainly because he's a really nice sculpt, but also because if you ever need a generic humanoid robot or C3-PO stand in he has you covered. I went for a fairly simple silver colour scheme, but I'm actually tempted to get another to try something with a more plastic and glowy bits vibe.


The main reason I was looking for robot miniatures, despite already having far to much stuff to paint was that we'd been trying to play a game of Mechwarrior. And whilst this might put one in the mood for some sort of mechanical action (oo err), there is one rather significant drawback to mechawarrior (other than the system anyway): All the mech designs kinda suck.


So I was casting about on ebay for some sort of mech type things I might actually want to paint when I found this pack of 3 droids. And they actually looked pretty cool. Not only that, but they'd be useful as mecha in small scale games, but also as robots in 28mm.


Obviously this one is the most mech-like, but the two smaller ones would still be good for scout mechs or similar. And the temptation to put it in a Dino-Might game using tank stats or something similar is incredibly tempting. There's really not enough mecha vs dinosaur things around.


Speaking of Dino-Might, I also had an urge to do some extra bits of scenery. Presented first are a couple of tents from 15mm.co.uk. I got these when I was ordering some other bits that I'll hopefully manage to get around to this year as I figured it might be nice to have some base camp type stuff for the humans. The fact that they're a larger scale isnt really mush of a problem as they just seem like big tents.


One of the other things I figured the game really should have was some sort of carcass or other skeletal remains for the carnivores. Kinda weird that they don't actually make a few casualty type bits. Anyway, I'd found some more of the GW jungle terrain, and I had some broken scraps of skeleton horse. Bereft of limbs and skull it could pass for bit of gnawed sauropod if you don't look to closely. Or possibly something else as long as it's dead. And in 28mm games it still works as a bit of dead livestock or whatever. Versatility is always advantageous.


Finally we have another treat from 15mm: The Flower Of Evil. There's only so much jungle terrain a man can produce before his thoughts turn to man eating plants. And this one always looked promising. And I think it came out alright I reckon. Again, should be suitable for a variety of scales as well.

I think that's all the outstanding bits for the moment, and provided I can stop getting distracted with making more scenery I should hopefully be able to get the Goloth squad finished and on to some other interesting bits before to long.

Hopefully....

No comments:

Post a Comment