Saturday 25 December 2010

Ultramas

It's christmas time. Hooray. And around these parts there's only really one way to do christmas. The same way we do most other things.

No, I don't mean badly or on the cheap.

I mean the ULTRAMAN way.

daa daa da daa!

So with that in mind consider this a specium beam in the war against christmas.

Of course, it was December 08 when I visited Ultramanland, and maybe that had an effect on me.

I DARE you to tell me this isn't awesome

And it was there that I acquired the fantastic Ultraman christmas card. Which in addition to being an ULTRAMAN CHRISTMAS CARD contained a DVD message from Taro and Ultra Father. I have no idea what they're saying exactly, but I don't need to. The message is clear enough: Ultra + Christmas = WIN.


But wait, it gets better. Because then we then find out that there is such a thing as the Ultraman christmas ALBUM.


Yes. This is an album containing christmas style versions of some Ultraman theme songs, christmas songs sung in Japanese (and thus rendered infinitely less annoying then usual), a short audio drama in which Baltan Seijin learns the true meaning of christmas and the single best version of jingle bells EVER RECORDED.

Baltan Seijin fucking LOVES christmas

And so the seeds had been sown. I'd had it in my mind to conduct an Ultraman themed christmas for a while now, and this year I have finally achieved it.

Now, the first part of my plan was to construct a suitably Ultra themed tree. How? Simple.


Yubi Ningyo! The original plan was to get a white or silver tree and decorate it with red tinsel. But then I found that you could get red trees, which somehow seemed much more appropriate.


These actually work really well. At first I was a bit unsure as to how I would affix them to the tree, but the solution was incredibly obvious. It's an artificial tree. Just bend the ends of the branches up and sit them on. They are finger puppets after all.

And then for the top...


At first I was unsure. I mean, Pestar or maybe even Bemstar would look pretty cool if you could get them in a suitably festive paint scheme. Or there's always Yunijiin, if only they actually made one.

I mean, he's only the christmas kaiju

But I found a set of glitter Mebius and Tiga from the Superior 8 Ultra Brothers on ebay pretty reasonably, and if I do say so myself they look pretty spiffy. Would be perhaps cooler if they were to light up, but I really couldn't bring myself to drill holes in their butts and jam fairy lights up there.

So far so good thought I. But somehow it wasn't quite enough. And then I hit on the best idea yet.


Yup. Ultra presents. I was, it has to be said, rather pleased with how these turned out, as I thought it would be lot more difficult. I admit they're not exactly mathmatically precise, but that's hardly the point.

Ultraman

Ultraseven

Ultraman Ace

Ultraman 80

Father Of Ultra

Mother Of Ultra

To make these I simply got some silver and red wrapping paper, as well as a bit of blue for the colour timers. Then I found an image of a leaflet checklist for the Ultraman toys, which provided me a reasonable straight on view of the chest designs. The it's just a question of cutting out the detail in paintshop, scaling it up to the approximate size ofthe present and printing out a template. Though if anyone wants to make some decent quality scalable vector templates I'd be VERY grateful. Anyway, scissors and glue later I have a pretty funky selection of gifts for my friends and family. 

Although I am left with one last problem. How the hell do I explain to my parents whats going on with the wrapping?


Anyway, this is how I'm doing christmas this year, and in all probability every year. I can only hope that this post will add to the somewhat dissapointing google search results for Ultraman christmas, and maybe even inspire some other Ultrafans to do christmas the right way next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment