Sunday 13 December 2009

[old blog import] Long Time Gone

So, according to the wii I managed to spend over 10 hours playing games yesterday.

TEN HOURS.

It's been a while since I've done that.

(This does make me think it would be nice to have access to some sort of detailed summary information. Total time played, longest session, most frequently played, that sort of thing.)

Whilst I'm still playing Darklord (nearly finished though) Yesterday was dedicated (in it's entirety apparently) to 2 new games. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Secret Files: Tunguska.

(I've just noticed that there appear to be an alarming number of colons in my games all of a sudden. I wouldn't mind, but it's not like I'm playing THAT sort of game. Which would be AWESOME on the wii.)

So anyway, some thoughts.

Fire Emlbem is a tactical RPG, though it does seem to be a bit more tactical than RPG. Not really anything in the way of exploration, no random encounters or anything like that. The plot advances from scenario to scenario in a rather linear fashion. I suppose there's not really anything wrong with this per se, but it does make think how much MORE fun it would be if you had multiple objectives to choose from, or could deploy the various characters you accumulate over a world map. Something a little more interactive feeling.

I don't really want to come of as overly negative, because the gameplay is actually fun, assuming you like a bit of strategy. Which I do. There is a bit of depth to the gameplay, so you do get some objectives other than "Wipe them out. ALL of them" ... All though a lot of the time thats what your gonna be doing. Because it's fun.

My only real concern so far has been the balance between individual characters, as some seem to be terminally useless compared to others. However this may well be more to do with how I'm using them, so further testing is in order. Which will be tricky as I've completed part 1, and the game has pulled some weird trick and I'm now controlling a different set of characters in a different country. Which is interesting, and possibly awesome, but I don't really know yet.

The plot does make it plain that this is a sequel, which I'm sure is great for those who played the preceding game and know who all these people are supposed to be, but isn't exactly involving for those of us who didn't. It's not a barrier neccesarily, but it does get a little annoying.

Overall I'm looking forward to playing more.

Next up: Tunguska!

Here we have a game in the old school point and click mode, something that the wii can achieve very well. This also means the application of old school point and click logic, which can be obtuse and confusing to say the least. But then that is kind of the point. Wouldn't be much of a puzzle game if it was easy.

Still, I had to duct tape my phone to a cat. That's really not the sort of thing you see everyday.

It's all fun however. I haven't played anything like this in years, and just being able to take your time and work things out has a certain satisfaction. Thus far I haven't had to resort to any hints, so as frustrating as some puzzles can be at least I get a sense of achievement for working them out.

Plot wise... Well theres a MYSTERY!! I'm just not far enough in to know what it is yet. Daddy's dissapeared so I'm infiltrating the russian military through the sewers. Or something. The last section was disturbingly scatalogical in content.

It's worth noting the voice acting, which in the long and distinguished history of video games is pretty awful. I think the game is originally german, but the english language dub gives the heroine a rather jarring valley girl type accent. This has the rather disconcerting effect of making her various exhortations to herself to think less the inner monologue of a capable and intelligent female protoganist and more maths is hard barbie.

But again, A fun game to play, and one I'm looking forward to playing more of. I do get the feeling that the replay value for this one isn't going to be massively high, since the plot and characters haven't exactly gripped me. It's doing the puzzles where the fun comes in, and once you know how to do them there's not much point, is there?

Anyway, we'll see how things go I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment