Monday 28 November 2011

From The Crypt

Having been playing D&D recently I was inspired to strip down some of my old Warhammer miniatures and have another crack at them. You may not immediately see the connection between D&D and Warhammer, but basically it boils down to not wanting to blow all my cash on a bunch of new minis when I have piles of potentially serviceable stuff kicking around.

Actually, it's not even a question of wanting. I'd much rather get a bunch of shiny new bits, but don't really have the time or money. So since these are sitting around I may as well knock out a few in between gaming sessions.



First up a properly old school werewolf. A nice sculpt and dead easy to paint. Just a question of highlighting the fur and touching the mouth detail.


Next up is a Vampire. Again there's not much that really needs doing, although I did manage to get an interestingly dead looking fleshtone using a combination of grey with bleached bone and white highlights combined with a flesh wash.



From the old selection of Chaos Hounds comes this zombified chap. Actually a lot trickier than it looked getting the various wounds and protruding bones right. I suppose when you think about it having absolutely no flesh on the head is a little odd, but who knows how he died?


Chaos Sorceror I believe, although he does fulfil most of your crazed and pustulent needs. Not sure I got the various sores and boils as good as I could have, but I'm quite pleased with manky colour I achieved on his robes.

Then there's the Ghouls.


These boys were all painted up in basically the same fashion once I'd actually worked out how I wanted to do them.


Taking inspiration from the vampire mentioned previously I started with a grey coat over all the flesh, which I then highlighted with rotting flesh.


Over this I then applied a heavy flesh wash, resulting in the rather... off looking flesh tones you see here.


I admit it took a couple of goes to work out how I was going to do them. I didn't want them to look to green or zombie like, but neither did I want them to be too pink and healthy looking. Ghouls need to be somewhere in-between. Not exactly rotten but not really alive either..


I think I managed to get a suitably necrotic vibe into these boys. If nothing else it'll be good practice for when I finally get around to buying the Ghoul tribe from Heresy.

No comments:

Post a Comment