Friday 18 November 2011

Minis Catch Up Part 9: Monster Mash

Meanwhile, in the world of Doctor Who miniatures....


This is allegedly a Stone Golem from Heresy Miniatures. However, if you paint it up right it quickly becomes a Pyrovile. I've mounted him on a scenic lava base from Black Cat Bases, to really emphasize the whole made of lava aspect. Actually came out pretty good if I do say so myself. I'd never really bothered with scenic bases before. Generally I've preferred to keep them as a neutral plain black. But doing this guy did open my eyes a little to the effectiveness of such a device.


Continuing to dip my toes in the scenic basing waters is this little diorama of the Master along with the Melkur. I've always loved the design of the Melkur. I mean, it's an art-deco mecha-TARDIS. What's not to love? The idea here was to show the Master stopping off for a quick scheme on his way to Traken. The decayed Master is a great idea in story terms, but a complete bastard to paint. Largely he's just black robes of course, but that just means you have that much less space to get the flayed and rotten effect across with.


A Mk I Cyberman from Black Tree Design. Another awesome bit of design, and also fairly straightforward to paint. The only major departure was that I elected to keep the hands covered, rather than painting them in as bare flesh. I just think it looks better that way, with what little remains of the humanity kept under wraps.


You have NO IDEA how painful Imperial Daleks are to paint. Sure, white and gold sounds like a cool colour scheme, but have you actually tried painting it? Maybe it's just the gold I had, but it really wasn't easy getting the colour to stand out. All those hemispheres......


The Special Weapons Dalek. One of the main advantages this particular Dalek model has over the others (aside from raw firepower) is that it's SUPPOSED to look all grimy and oily. Which makes it much much easier to ink. Flat white is not an easy thing to try and shade.


Of course, we couldn't have the Imperial Daleks without some Renegades to fight, could we? After painting the Imperials these were a lot easier to deal with. Maybe it was because I'd more practice, maybe it was that the colour scheme offered a better amount of contrast.


To lead the Renegades I of course would need a Supreme Dalek. I went with a movie Dalek mini to make it stand out a bit more, and then just did it in black and silver, since I was going for a Remembrance Of The Daleks vibe. Although there's nothing to stop me using the Renegades as just regular Daleks as well.


And you're going to have Daleks then you've gotta have Davros, right? Well, not necessarily. But I've got him anyway. Again, actually fairly straightforward to paint as he's mostly black.


The Ancient Haemovore From The Curse Of Fenric.....


And two of his buddies. The Heamovores scared the living shit out of me as kid. The fun thing about painting them of course is that they're blue. So no worrying about getting proper flesh tones. And they're not nearly as brown as seemingly everything else I was painting at the time. The Ancient one is a bit more detailed, and I did him in black rather than brown clothing, but otherwise there's not much difference in painting the boss and the minions.


After painting all those Doom guys and Silurians and the like I had a powerful need to paint something not brown. Thus I picked up a pair of Vervoids. Bright greens and yellow and pinks, lovely stuff. Now, I'd of course read people commenting on the, shall we say, rather adult aspects of their design. Back in the day it wasn't really something you noticed. A kid just sees a scary plant monster and doesn't sweat the phallic imagery. But it was only when I was painting them that I really came to grasp just how.... Genitallic they truly were.

No comments:

Post a Comment