Saturday 12 November 2011

Minis Catch Up Part 6: A Miscellaneous Interlude.

Now, it should be said that I haven't JUST been painting Doom and Doctor Who miniatures. Oh no. Sometimes I also paint things to go WITH Doom or Doctor Who miniatures.



I'm not sure where these space marine types originate from. I got them years ago, and found them when I was looking through some boxes for something to warm up on before launching into the Doom minis. These seemed like a good idea. You can tell I was thinking in Doom terms already since there's a red one, blue, one and green one.



Also found when looting the detritus of a previous age was this classic Games Workshop Space Ork Freebooter. And he also rather formed part of the prelude. Always loved this guy. Freebooterz was very much my era of GW. Although really we mainly played Realm Of Chaos. Still, he came out pretty good I think. Certainly better than he ever would have been had I got the model when it was first released.


Another piece that I'm unsure of the source. I think I got this girl in a goody bag at a Dragonmeet one time. Good for a secret agent type of some description though. Again I had a bit of touble with the concept of painting something that wasn't an armour plated monstrosity.


Speaking of monstosities, here a pair of Mi-Go I picked up from Black Cat Bases. I'd actually seen these on ebay before when I was looking for Cthulhu stuff, but at the time I wasn't painting. Once I actually started painting again I had little choice but to grab them. Attaching the wings was a complete bugger, but after that they went relatively smoothly. So now one day I can see about running a Dr Who / Cthulhu mash up game.


Hitler from Black Tree Design. Because everything's better with Hitler. I picked this up at the same time as I got the 7th Doctor and some other bits. Figured he might be handy in a second world war type game. Actually bought him before I found out about Let's Kill Hitler, but no one will ever believe me now.


So here we have a Victorian Lady. In a gasmask. With a shotgun. Originally by Moonfleet Miniatures and now available from Black Cat Bases. I don't mind telling you that all that frilly lace is goddamn fiddly to paint.

2 comments:

  1. How did you do the wings for the Mi-go? I have the flying one and thinking of pinning and using glue or perhaps putty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gods, the wings....

      Those were, I must admit, tricky. I used a combination of glue, greenstuff and swearing to fix them into place. As I remember I did a bit of filing to get them fairly snug in the position I'd picked out, fixed them lightly in place with superglue, and then built up a bit of musculature around them to get them properly secure. At least it's supposed to look like musculature.

      At the time I didn't have a drill fine enough to really consider pinning them, but I'd say that might be a good idea for stability. Of course you'd probably still need to fill in a little.

      They are awesome pieces though, so I reckon it's worth all the hassle in the end.

      Delete