Monday 7 November 2011

Minis Catch Up Part 4: The Cave Monsters

So, we'd finished up the Doom minis at long last, and needed a new project. I'd managed to prove to myself that I could actually still paint, and I was actually quite enjoying the hobby. Which is, let's face it, rather the point of having a hobby. Taking to the internets I searched about for something new that appealed. What I really wanted to paint was some of the old Doctor Who miniatures. But they didn't still make those did they?

OH HELL YEAH THEY DO.


The Silurians have long been a favorite monster of mine. And the fact that I'd watched the whole of the Beneath The Surface boxset whilst painting up my Doom minis really hadn't helped. So once I found that Black Tree Design were still selling Doctor Who miniatures the first thing I did was go out and by Silurians and Sea Devils.


ALL OF THEM.

The Silurians were actually remarkably easy to do. They are after all essentially brown. So a light leathery colour was fairly straightforward. I admit that I got the idea for the green frill on the classic Silurians from looking at minis galleries online to see how others had approached them. I think they look a bit plain without, and that helps break them up a little.


The Sea Devils were painted in much the same way, only in string vests. And that's just a question of drybrushing a light bluey grey over the black undercoat.


The heavily armoured Sea Devils from Warriors Of The Deep. Just a question of touching in some silver highlights on the armour really. I do love the look of these guys.


However the undoubted highlight (at least for me) is The Myrka. Many people don't understand my unreasoning love of the Myrka. To be fair I probably don't either. It's just so gloriously flawed. At least in it's on screen execution. I think my one came out pretty good.


BONUS ROUND! I managed to pick up one of the old Citadel Sea Devils on ebay. Although it did cost me FAR to much for a single figure. I still need to get the other two that Citadel made, but the budget has it's limits.

3 comments:

  1. Buying vintage minis on eBay for the sake of "completeness" is a great way to spend a LOT of money :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I haven't watched Warriors of the Deep yet, but was that Myrka thing basically a "pantomime horse" type outfit with two guys, one in each set of legs? There's no way that looked good on TV :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only was he done in the style of a pantomime horse, he was played by the same guys who did Dobbin from Rent-a-Ghost. Who WAS a pantomime horse. A perfect storm of everything going wrong, although I still think that with the right lighting they could have gotten away with it. Ah, what might have been.

    ReplyDelete