Wednesday 2 November 2011

Minis Catch Up Part 3: Hexpansion.

In our last installment we finished up the pieces from DOOM: The Boardgame. Well, almost anyway. Because as the presence of the chainsaw weilding marines may have indicated we still have the monsters from the expansion to go. So let's get started.


First up is the Zombie Commando. I wanted these guys to have a different tone to the standard zombies, but still look dead. I went with a pale grey drybrushing over a rotting flesh base, and then a black wash.


Gives them a sort of cold and more military vibe than the standard shambling gutpile I think.


Oh man did I have trouble with the Cherubs. I had literally no idea how to paint these guys. Eventually I managed to settle on a suitably fleshy colour for the squishy parts.


The chitinous areas were just done in whichever colour group the mini belonged to, and the wings were silver with a coloured ink wash. In the end I think they came out okay, but I really didn't know if it was going to work out at the time.


By contrast the Revenants were quite easy. I mean, it's just a skeleton with shoulder mounted missile launchers.


Bone and metal. Kinda hard to mess that up too badly.


I wonder why these guys were called Maggots? I mean, they don't LOOK like maggots. Having not played Doom 3 these were another one that I had no clue what they were really meant to look like.


However if you've got a twisted mass of flesh, one of the most effective things you can do is just paint it up in flesh tones. Somehow that always looks more disturbing to me than doing them in green whatever.


Cacodemons. Everybody loves Cacodemons, right?


As I was largely using old school Doom for my inspiration these guys obviously needed to be orange. But not overly orange, as then they'd look out of place with the other more fleshy looking pieces I'd done so far. I started with a base of a purply red colour, and once that was done built up orange with a few successive passes of drybrushing. This actually gave me a really cool colour, which I then gave a red/black ink wash. I'm actually quite pleased with the tone I got on these guys.


And finally we reach the Vagary. Again I had no idea what these were really meant to look like. However I do watch far to much Doctor Who, so I basically just painted them up to be Racnoss proxies.


I think that worked out quite well. I mixed a bit of blue or green into the ink wash to give each a slightly different skin tone, which worked out alright. Other than that it was just a case of lots of drybrushing.

And there we have it. This completes the Doom portion of our little retrospective. What's next? Well, you'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment