Wednesday 16 November 2011

Minis Catch Up Part 8: For Science!

One of the few advantages to posting my various minis in this conglomerated fashion rather than at the actual time they were done is that we can try to compare some similar pieces. For example the Moonfleet scientists.



I got these quite a while ago from Black Cat Bases. Scientists are, after all, always handy for one scenario or another. And I'm sure you'll agree that one of these guys just screams Cyber-Conversion.


And here we have the other pair which I got much later. I think I certainly managed to get a better skin tone on the male scientist here than the earlier ones. Back then I just had the black ink, whereas now not only do I have a proper flesh wash I'm actually starting to get the hang of it. The problem came with the female one though, as I decided I didn't want to do her as another boring caucasian. I wanted to do her with an Indian / Asian sort of tone. Only whilst painting did I realize that I had absolutely no idea how to do this. Most of the painting guides I'd seen had concentrated on white skin tones. Does this make me a big old racist? Who knows. I did okay in the end, but I think it could be better.


I think I did better here, not that there is much skin on display. A Pygmy Shaman from Black Cat Bases which was totally not bought because I started thinking about Diablo 2 as soon as I saw it. Honest.


Sticking with bits from Black Cat we now have the 3 legged Trilobe. I've mentioned before that it can sometimes be better to paint weird creatures in normal flesh tones, and here I think it really works fantastically. He's just so adorable don't you think? I can't help but think he'd make a great companion for a Doctor Who game rather than an enemy. I'm just strange like that.


A Smogger Digger by Moonfleet Miniatures. Or an Insidious Subterranean Mole Person as I personally like to think of it. Another shortarse, so a little bit fiddly. But not too bad by any means. I'd like to get a few more of these at some point.


Finally may I present a Deep One Hybrid with a large machine gun. Stripy tops are, I discovered, not nearly as straightforward as one might think. There's still room for improvement here. But I really wanted him in a ridiculous stripy shirt, as I'd just listened to The Stones Of Venice. Which, for those of you who don't know, features fish person hybrid gondoliers. All he really needs in a straw hat. I used rotting flesh as the base colour on his skin in order to get a greenish quality, which I think came out quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment